Race Day Game Plan – Last Minute Preparations
Written by Jack Pilla, Run Formula Coach
Pre-Race Preparation, the night before:
- Get your drop bags in order and placed in the designated areas.
- Coordinate with your pacer if you have one.
- Go over any specifics with your crew.
- Eat – Pasta is always a good choice or some other favorite non-spicy dish but don’t pig out. (Thursday night would be better for the big meal). White pasta is more easily digestible than wheat.
- Have all your race gear ready to go before bed.
- Get to sleep. (You might bring earplugs too if you are camping).
Morning of the Race:
- Most races start in the pre-dawn hours so have a small snack an hour before such as a bagel or banana but whatever you do don’t try something new at this hour.
- Drink 10 – 12 ounces of fluid before your race. Stay hydrated but don’t overdo it.
- Hit the port-o-let early enough so you don’t miss the start. (Bring your own tp as sometimes the portolets run out).
- Don’t forget to check in before the start.
Ultra List of Goodies to have on hand
(Just a quick reminder from last week’s blog)
- Electrolyte Replacement
- Fuel Belt, Camel Back or other hydration gizmo
- Body glide or similar
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Good socks and extra socks
- Good trail running shoes and spares
- Band aids/first aid kit/blister repair
- Duct Tape
- Extra clothing and night clothing for colder temps
TOP TEN WAYS TO DNF AT AN ULTRA
(As reproduced from the Wasatch Front 100 and modified for the VT100)
- (10) Wear new shoes.
- 9) Wear old socks.
- 8) Waste energy getting mad at little things.
- 7) Try for that terrific 30 hour “SUNTAN”. Would you stick your head in a microwave?
- 6) Forget to plan for difficult weather: wind, rain, cold, heat.
- 5) VT has no big hills, so no need to do hill training, right?
- 4) Forget to consume calories
- 3) Think you are staying hydrated by drinking at aid stations only.
- 2) Rely totally on ribbons to guide your way. Does the word “lost” have meaning to you?
- 1) Not making friends with Mr. SALT and Mz. ELECTROLYTE.
HAVE FUN AND SEE YOU AT THE FINISH!!