2021 Team Run 2 Empower — What to Know
Are you interested in joining Vermont 100’s Team Run 2 Empower for 2021? Here’s what you need to know.
How to Join
There are limited spots available in the Team Run 2 Empower for 2021. This is because folks who were signed up for the Team in 2020 had the option to roll their spots into the 2021 VT100… and there’s lots of interest for the few remaining spots available. Due to that demand, we’re changing the process for new registrants to join the 2021 Team — you have to apply.
We will accept applications for the first round through December 31st. Notifications on who is welcomed to the Team will be made by January 15th. Please feel free and encouraged to add in any info you think will help us in the selection of who joins the Team, and be creative — we want to know you and why this is important to you! Completed applications are to be sent to Race Director Amy Rusiecki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About VT100’s Team Run 2 Empower Program
The 2021 Vermont 100 race will set aside up to 60 slots for our Team Run 2 Empower. Under this program, runners will be allowed free entry* into the Vermont 100 so long as they commit to raising a minimum of $1,500 for Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports (*and make a $100 donation towards their personal fundraising account). Of course, we encourage our Team participants to raise additional funds above the minimum requirement (and have
some awesome incentives for you as you fundraise)!
This will be the 7th year of this program. In the first year, we had 10 runners who participated and they raised $30,000 for Vermont Adaptive. We’ve come a long way since then, fundraising over $150,000 in 2019. The goal for this year is to fundraise at least $250,000, which would put the 7-year total to over $600,000!
Think of how much of a difference that makes in the lives of so many Vermont Adaptive athletes! Especially given the strain of COVID on the finances of Vermont Adaptive — our support is needed!
About Our Charity, Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports
The Vermont 100 is one of Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports’ biggest fundraisers every year. Our participants, volunteers, and sponsors help Vermont Adaptive provide access to skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sailing, canoeing, kayaking, hand cycling, tandem biking, horseback riding, rock climbing, hiking, camping, and other adventure weekends to their participants!
Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing recreational and competitive sports opportunities to people with disabilities. We believe sports and recreation provide a physical, mental, and social experience that is immeasurable in promoting self-confidence and independence in an individual. More information on Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports can be found at vermontadaptive.org.
How Does Team Run 2 Empower Work?
If you chose to participate in the Team Run 2 Empower, you will register for the Vermont 100 under the Team Run 2 Empower registration. At this time, a fundraising page will be generated for you. Each runner joining the Team must kick start their fundraising campaign by making a $100 donation towards their personal fundraising. Once you have raised the $1,500 minimum, you are officially in (but encouraged to keep up the fundraising efforts)! On July 10th, if you haven’t raised the $1,500 minimum, your credit card will be charged the remaining funds (but we hope
that doesn’t happen!).
Runners have until July 1st to enter into the Team, and then any unused entries will be given to runners on the general waitlist.
Why Participate in Team Run 2 Empower?
Running an ultramarathon is challenging enough, but participating in the Team Run 2 Empower gives additional meaning to your race. You are running to support Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports; every step you take will benefit people with disabilities by giving
them an opportunity to participate in sports.
What are the Benefits of Participating on Team Run 2 Empower?
There are some special perks for folks on the Team:
- Guaranteed entry into one of the oldest 100 milers, and one of the Grand Slam races (or the 100k race, if that’s your choice!)
- Monthly coaching tips and articles of interest for both running and fundraising
- Opportunity to participate in an exclusive training run on the VT100 course (which is partially on private property; a rare opportunity!)
- Allowance to ‘swap distances’ between the 100k and 100-mile race at any time
- Top 10 fundraisers earn bibs #1 through 10 for the race
- Team Run 2 Empower singlet
“To see the support [from fellow Team Run 2 Empower runners] I had on a training run, where my only disability is my own mind – imagine the support Vermont Adaptive gives to athletes will different sorts of disabilities.” –Jessie F., Team Run 2 Empower 2018
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When does registration open for the Team Run 2 Empower? For the 2021 event, applications for a spot on the Team Run 2 Empower will be accepted through December 31, 2020. After that, the first round of applications will be reviewed and new Team members will be welcomed (hopefully by January 15, 2021). Based on the availability of spots, additional Team members will be admitted on a rolling basis.
- What’s the deal with the mandatory $100 contribution to my own fundraising? Research shows that others are more likely to contribute to your fundraising efforts if you are also invested in the cause. We hope this will allow you each to be financially committed to your efforts. Also, note that Team members don’t pay the race registration fee, so a $100 donation is less than registration.
- Can I fundraise for another charity and participate on the Team Run 2 Empower? Unfortunately, no. While we appreciate anyone willing to fundraise for an incredible charity, the Vermont 100 and Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports are partners therefore this Team Run 2 Empower is specifically designed to benefit Vermont Adaptive.
- If I am on the Team Run 2 Empower, can I run the 100km race? Of course! Members of the Team Run 2 Empower can choose to run either the 100-mile or 100km distance. Even
better, Team members are allowed to change their race distance at any time.
- If I am on the Team Run 2 Empower, do I still need to qualify for the 100-mile race? Yes, if you are planning to run the 100-mile race, you still must meet the qualification requirements for the event. However, if you’re a member of the Team then you can switch from the 100-mile to 100km distance at any time if you fail to qualify.
- If I am on the Team Run 2 Empower, do I still need to complete the volunteer requirement? Yes, you are still required to complete the volunteer requirement. Alternatively, you can fundraise the $200 Volunteer Buy-out fee (total fundraising goal of $1,700) instead.
- What happens if I don’t fundraise the minimum $1,500? There are a few options if you don’t fundraise the minimum amount. First, you can pay the difference to meet the
requirement. Second, if there is a spot in the 100-mile or 100km race, you can switch to regular registration and pay the registration fee. It should be noted that in 6 years of this Team, we have only once had someone who failed to meet the minimum fundraising requirement.
- What happens if I get injured and can’t race at this year’s Vermont 100? If a Team Run 2 Empower member has started fundraising and is not able to run due to injury or another issue, we are dedicated to working with the runner to find the correct solution.
Not Finding What You Need?
For any questions regarding the Vermont Adaptive Team Run 2 Empower, or to officially join the team, fill out your application today, or contact the Vermont 100 Race Director at email@example.com. Thank you!